Despite the rain and cold conditions we had a great time at our Christmas event, although it was a tight squeeze in the classroom at Bracken Hall!
Our birdsong workshop went down really well. We learnt about the calls and songs of: Blue tit, Long-tailed Tit, Robin, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Wren, and Nuthatch. Why not brush up on your birdsong skills? Click on the name of a bird above to learn more about the bird and listen to its song again.
To help us remember these calls we learned some handy hints:
- Robin sings the “can’t-be-bothered song”!
- Long-tailed Tit, makes a sound like a bird being squished!
- Blackbird has a very flutey call similar to Mistle Thrush, but these can be separated by the Mistle Thrush's 'football rattle' call.
- Wren sounds like a wind up toy going a bit crazy with its very fast song.
- Nuthatch makes a fast dui-dui-dui call.
After our learning our birdsongs we made some pom pom robins. All the Airedale Otters did really well and had some great results to take home. We then tucked into some lovely food while Andy kept wrapping away at the emergency pom poms!
Have a fantastic Christmas and a Happy New Year!